The architects were Frederick Clarke Withers and Walter Dickson.
The English Withers and Dickson, from Albany, had partnered together since the 1880s. In September 1900 the architects complained that construction would be delayed for a year, and cost an additional 0,000, due to the unnecessary insertion of corrupt Tammany Hall architects Horgan & Slattery into the project.
The 1902 prison was replaced in 1941 by a new high-rise facility across the street, on the east side of Centre Street.
The 795,000 square foot The new facility was (and is) the northmost of the four 15-story towers of the massive New York City Criminal Courts Building, 100 Centre Street, bounded by Centre, White, and Baxter Streets, and Hogan Place.
The building was 253 feet, 3 inches in length by 200 feet, 5 inches wide and it occupied a full block, surrounded by Centre, Franklin Street, Elm (today's Lafayette), and Leonard Streets. Originally 0,000 was allocated in 1835 to build the Tombs, however various cost overruns occurred prior to completion of the project.
Within a month after the riot, the New York City Legal Aid Society filed a landmark class action suit on behalf of pretrial detainees held in the Tombs.
the Manhattan Detention Complex consists of two buildings: a South Tower, the former Manhattan House of Detention, remodeled and reopened in 1983, and a new North Tower to the north across White Street, completed in 1990 and designed by Max O.